Published by cmFADMIN on Monday, June 5, 2023
The Workshop schedule:
FRIDAY: Start 10.00h - Room 107, Building 46
- 10.00 - 11.00 Introduction - John Cage, Udo Kasemets and Listening
- 11.00 - 12.00 Sound/Listening workhop I (Exercises derived Kasemets “4′33” using found objects)
- 13.00 - 14.30 Coding workshop I - Introduction to Csound, first “beep”, white noise
- 15.00 - 16.30 Coding workshop II - Work on Csound instruments for “Fractals”
- 16.30 - 17.00 Sound/Listening workhop II
SATURDAY: Start 10.00h - Room 107, Building 46
- 10.00 - 10.30 Sound/Listening workhop III
- 13.00 - 14.30 Coding IV - Work on the web app, creating a simple sine wave app with an HTML button and slider
- 15.00 - 17.00 as needed - rehearsal, possibly work on the software
SUNDAY: Start 11.00h - at the concert venue, KUZ Kreuz
Finalizing the projects, setting up the equipment and rehearsing
starting at 11.00h at KUZ Kreuz, Schlitzerstraße 81, 36039 Fulda
Participants of the workshop are expected to bring their own laptops along.
1) the most convenient way to get started is the web-based IDE:
one simple demo project: https://ide.csound.com/editor/Cue5qNQQIA88dMRJFr1a
- just press Run and see if it makes a sound. It should.
2) For offline work and tryouts and control with widgets + MIDI controllers, we would use Csound + its frontend CsoundQt. Try to install it:
- install first Csound https://github.com/csound/csound/releases/download/6.18.1/Csound-MacOS-universal-6.18.1.dmg
- and then CsoundQt: https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/releases/download/v1.1.1/CsoundQt-1.1.1-MacOS_x64.dmg
As it is not from Apple Store, you need to check security in the control panel to allow running third-party programs.
https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/releases/download/v1.1.1/CsoundQt-1.1.1+Csound-6.18.0-Win64.zip (all included)
- unzip the package and run CsoundQt-something.exe
https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/releases/download/v1.1.1/CsoundQt-1.1.1+Csound-6.18.0-x86_64.AppImage (all included)
- download the file, give permission to “executable” and just click on the file to start it.
When it is installed, Open CsoundQt->Examples->CsoundQt->Basics->Hello World, press Run, and see if it makes a beep. You might need to open Configure panel to check about the sound module (portaudio is the most universal) and input/output devices.